General discussion about this topic

GuDron

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jan 28, 2020
Language
English
Tense can be defined as a word form used to indicate the time of occurrence of an incident concerning the moment of speaking. It indicates the completion and continuity of an activity. Good knowledge of tenses helps you in your communication.
Let us explore the kinds of Tenses.

There are three basic types of tenses.
  1. Present
  2. Past
  3. Future
These tenses can be further categorized into 4 types.
  • Simple Tense
  • Continuous Tense
  • Perfect Tense
  • Perfect Continuous Tense

What are Modal Verbs?
Modal verbs (also called modal auxiliary verb) are helping verbs used along with main verbs to express ability, possibility, and necessity of a subject .

Examples of Modal verbs:
Can, could, may, might, would, will, shall, should, must, and ought to are some model verbs.

Use of Model verbs:
Can:
Used to indicate the ability of the subject to perform an action or to request permission to perform an action.
Example:
  • He can swim like a fish.
Could: Used to indicate the ability of the subject to perform an action or an offer made by the subject to perform an action.
Examples:
  • When I left school at 16, I couldn't read or write.
  • Could you tell me the time?
May: Used to indicate the possibility of an action taking place or to request permission to perform an action.
Example:
  • You may enter.
  • He may be waiting for us.
Might: Used to indicate the possibility of an action taking place or to make suggestions.
Examples:
  • I might order pizza.
  • She might not come to the meeting.
Will: Used to indicate the surety of an action taking place or the assurance of the subject to perform a particular action.
Example:
  • I will talk.
Would: Used to show politeness when requesting or asking if an action can be done by the subject. Would is a past form of will.
Example:
  • Would you call back later?
  • I would add more salt to that.
Shall: Used to indicate a future action or the assurance of the subject to perform a particular action. It is normally used with "I" and "We".
Examples:
  • Shall we arrange a meeting?
  • The students shall be there in time.
Should: Used to indicate the necessity of an action to be done by the subject.
Examples:
  • You should watch that film.
  • He should go to the doctor.
Must: Used to indicate the strong obligation or necessity for the subject to do or not do an action.
Examples:
  • Cyclists must wear helmets.
  • You mustn't be late for class.
Ought to: Used to indicate the obligation of the subject to perform a particular action.
Example:
  • We ought to eat lots of fruit and vegetables every day.

What are Participles?
Participles
: A participle is a form of verb that is used for a variety of purposes. It is used to play the role of an adjective or to construct verb tenses. Participles are used in sentences to form the past and perfect tenses.
There are two major types of participles:
  • Present participles
  • Past participles
Present Participles:
To form the present participle of most verbs, you simply add '-ing' to the root form of the verb. In most cases, you will have to remove the ‘e’ before adding ‘ing’ for words ending in ‘e’. Present participles are used to form continuous tenses such as Present continuous tense, Past continuous tense, Future continuous tense, Past Perfect continuous tense, and Future Perfect continuous tense. It is also used with 'to be' and 'have' form of verbs.
Examples:
1- Adding 'ing' to verbs:
Stand - Standing, Fill - Filling, Check - Checking etc.
2- Removing 'e' and Adding 'ing':
Prove - Proving, Store - Storing, Make - Making etc.
3- Removing 'ie' and Adding 'y' + 'ing':
Die - Dying, Tie - Tying, Lie - Lying etc.

Past Participle:
The past participle is also used as adjective when it precedes the noun. Otherwise, they work together with other helping verbs to form the perfect tenses such as present perfect tense, past perfect tense, and future perfect tense. It is typically formed by adding '-ed', and 'en' to the end of the root form of the verb.
Examples:
1- Adding 'ed' to the end of verb:
Check - Checked, Suggest - Suggested, Listen - Listened, etc.
2- Adding 'd' to the end of verb:
Change - Changed, Recieve - Received, Like - Liked, etc.

Types of Sentences:
There are four types of sentences:
  • Simple Sentences
  • Compound Sentences
  • Complex Sentences
  • Compound-Complex Sentences
1- Simple Sentences:
A simple sentence contains a subject and a verb.
Examples:
  • She is my best friend.
  • She is writing a letter.
2- Compound Sentences:
A compound sentence is made up of two independent clauses.
Examples:
  • She does not like apples, but she likes bananas.
  • I drank some water, for I was thirsty.
3- Complex Sentences:
A complex sentence contains atleast one independent clause, and one dependent clause. If a sentence begins with a dependent clause, note the comma after this clause. If, on the other hand, the sentence begins with an independent clause, there is not a comma separating the two clauses.
Examples:
  • Because I studied hard, I passed the exam.
  • I will buy the car that has the best gas mileage.
4- Compound-Complex Sentences:
A compound-complex sentence contains at least two independent clauses and at least one dependent clause.
Examples:
  • Because I paid attention, I got an A on the test and I was so happy.
  • Although he was tired, John stayed up late to finish his project, and he still managed to get to work on time.

Noun and Types of Nouns:

Noun: A noun is a word that refers to a person, place, event or thing. It can be used as a subject of a sentence or as an object of a verb.
Examples:
1- Ali lives in Lahore.
2- I am a doctor.
3- I love to eat pizza.

Types of Nouns:
1- Common Noun:

A common noun is a noun that describes a common person, thing, or place. Common nouns are not capitalized unless they appear at the start of a sentence, unlike proper nouns, which are always capitalized.
Examples:
  • I bought a book yesterday. (Book is a Common object)
  • I am going to school. (School is a common place)
2- Proper Nouns:
A proper noun is a noun that describes a specific person, thing, or place. Proper nouns always begin with a capital letter.
Examples:
  • My name is Abdullah. (Name of a particular person)
    I am going to Badshahi Mosque. (Name of a particular place)
3- Singular Nouns:
These are words that are used to name a single person, place, animal, bird, or object.
Examples:
  • The boy had a baseball in his hand.
  • That is my daughter.
4- Plural Nouns:
Plural nouns refer to many people, places, animals or things. Nouns are made plural by adding an ‘s’ or ‘es’ or ‘ies’ to the existing root word.
Examples:
  • I need some apples.
  • There were many trees in the park.
5- Countable Nouns:
Countable nouns are those nouns that can be counted or measured.
Examples:
  • How many candles are on that birthday cake?
  • Mom asked me to buy a dozen eggs.
6- Uncountable Nouns:
Uncountable Nouns are those nouns that cannot be counted. This category of nouns includes both concrete and abstract nouns.
Examples:
  • There is no more water in the pond.
  • We are facing terrible weather today.
7- Collective Nouns:
A collective noun is a naming word that is used to denote a group of objects, animals, or people.
Examples:
  • A flock of sheep
  • A company of actors
  • A pair of shoes
8- Concrete Nouns:
A concrete noun refers to objects that are material and can be perceived by the human senses.
Examples:
  • The book is on the table.
  • I had a cup of coffee.
9- Abstract Nouns:
Any object that cannot be perceived by the five senses of the human body is called an abstract noun.
Examples:
  • Honesty is the best policy.
  • You should not misuse the freedom you are given.

Types of Pronouns:
Pronoun
: A pronoun is a word used in a place of noun. Pronouns typically refer back to a previously mentioned noun.

Types of pronouns:
1- Relative Pronouns:

Relative Pronouns are used to relate one part of the sentence to another.
Examples:
Examples of relative pronouns are that, which, where, when, why, what, whom, and whose.
2- Possessive Pronouns:
Possessive pronouns are used to show possession.
Examples:
Examples of possessive pronouns are mine, yours, his, hers, theirs, and its.
3- Reflexive Pronouns:
Reflexive pronouns are used to refer back to the subject in the sentence.
Examples:
Examples of reflexive pronouns are myself, yourself, herself, himself, oneself, itself, ourselves, themselves, and yourselves.
4- Demonstrative Pronouns:
Demonstrative pronouns are used to point to specific objects in a sentence.
Examples:
Examples of demonstrative pronouns are this, that, these, and those.
5- Interrogative Pronouns:
Interrogative Pronouns are used to ask questions.
Examples:
Examples of interrogative pronouns are who, what, when, why, and where.
6- Indefinite Pronouns:
Indefinite Pronouns are pronouns that do not refer to any particular person, place, or thing.
Examples:
Examples of indefinite pronouns are someone, somebody, somewhere, something, anyone, anybody, anywhere, anything, no one, nobody, nowhere, everyone, everybody, everywhere, everything, each, none, few, and many.
7- Personal Pronouns:
Personal Pronouns are used to substitute proper names.
Examples:
Examples of personal pronouns are I, you, he, she, we, they, him, her, he, she, us, and them.
8- Subject Pronouns:
Subject Pronouns are used to perform some action in a sentence.
Examples:
Examples of subject pronouns are I, you, we, he, she, it, they, and one.
9- Object Pronouns:
Object Pronouns are used to receive the action in a sentence.
Examples:
Examples of object pronouns are me, us, him, her, and them.
10- Reciprocal Pronouns:
Reciprocal pronouns are used to express a mutual relationship.
Examples:
Examples of reciprocal pronouns are each other and one another.
11- Intensive Pronouns:
Intensive pronouns are the same as reflexive pronouns, with a small difference that you may remove the intensive pronoun from the sentence, and the sentence would still make sense.

Types of Verbs:

Verb:

A verb is a word that is used to describe an action, occurrence, etc. A complete sentence must contain at least one verb. According to the subject, tense, and voice verbs can change their form.
Types of verbs:
1- Auxiliary Verbs/Helping Verbs:
Auxiliary verbs are also called helping verbs. Auxiliary verbs include verbs such as “be,” “do,” and “have.” They’re combined with another (main) verb to change its meaning. Auxiliary verbs can be used to indicate tense, mood, and voice. They’re also used to form negative statements when used with words such as “not” and “never.”
Examples:
Examples of Auxiliary verbs are is, am, are, was, were, has, have, can, do, and will.

2- Modal Verbs:
Modal verbs are those verbs that are used to describe the possibility, probability, capability, or necessity of something happening. Modal verbs cannot be used as a main verb in a sentence.
Examples:
Examples of modal verbs are can, could, may, might, should, must, and ought to.

3- Phrasal Verbs:
Phrasal verbs include phrases formed by combining two or more parts of speech that perform the same function as a verb in a sentence. A phrasal verb usually results from a combination of a verb and a preposition.
Examples:

Examples of phrasal verbs are act on, back away, move out, think through, look up, etc.

4- Linking Verbs:
A linking verb (also called a copular verb) joins the subject of a sentence with a “subject complement” (i.e., a noun or adjective that describes it).
Examples:

Examples of linking verbs include the verbs “be,” “seem,” “become,” and “feel.”

5- Regular and Irregular verbs:
Regular Verbs:
Regular verbs are verbs whose past tense versions are formed by adding an -ed to the end, such as 'walk,' 'climb,' 'decide,' 'describe,' 'drop,' 'want,' 'call,' and 'beg.

Irregular Verbs:
A verb in which the past tense is not formed by adding the usual -ed ending.
Examples of irregular verbs are:

• I drank some cola.
  • They slept in a treehouse.
6- Transitive and Intransitive Verbs:
Transitive Verbs:

A transitive verb is a verb that requires an object to receive the action.
Examples:
  • The teacher taught a lesson.
  • Ali was making an umbrella.

Intransitive Verbs:
Intransitive verbs don't need an object to make sense – they have meaning on their own.
Examples:
  • He smiled.
  • Fish swim.

Types of Adverbs:
1- Adverb of manners:

These adverbs are those that describe how an action is done.
Examples:
Examples of adverbs of manners are Quickly, slowly, gradually, eventually, seriously, instantly, keenly, etc.
2- Adverbs of time:
Adverbs of time tell the reader when some action is occurring. Adverbs of time include general time periods and specific times.
Examples:
Examples of Adverbs of time are Now, soon, today, tomorrow, next month, recently, forever, etc.
3- Adverbs of Place:
These adverbs are used to indicate where the action mentioned in the sentence is taking place.
Examples:
Examples of adverbs of place are Somewhere, anywhere, nowhere, outside, inside, wherever, elsewhere, left, right, north, east, south, west, etc.
4- Adverbs of frequency:
Adverbs of frequency are used to denote how often an action or event is happening.
Examples:
Examples of Adverbs of frequency are rarely, never, often, weekly, monthly, yearly, annually, usually, sometimes, occasionally, constantly, frequently, etc.
5- Adverbs of Degree:
Adverbs of degree are used to indicate how intense an action of quality is. It is used to describe adjectives and adverbs.
Examples:
Examples of Adverbs of degree are too, extremely, much, more, most, little, less, incredibly, totally, greatly, hardly, deeply, etc.
6- Conjunctive Adverbs:
Conjunctive adverbs perform a little differently from the other types of adverbs. These adverbs are seen to act like a conjunction to link two sentences or clauses together.
Examples:
Examples of conjunctive adverbs are, however, nevertheless, meanwhile, therefore, instead, likewise, notably, subsequently, on the other hand, incidentally, in addition to, etc.

Types of Conjunctions:

Conjunctions:

Conjunctions are parts of speech that connect words, phrases, clauses, or sentences.
The types of conjunctions are:
  • Coordinating conjunctions
  • Subordinating conjunctions
  • Correlative conjunctions
1- Coordinating conjunctions:
Coordinating conjunctions are used to combine to combine two independent clauses.
Examples:
Examples of coordinating conjunctions are for, and, nor, but, or, yet and so.

2- Subordinating conjunctions:
Subordinating conjunctions are used to combine an independent clause and a dependent clause.
Examples:
Examples of subordinating conjunctions are if, although, after, before, because, as if, unless, until, when, while, etc.

3- Correlative conjunctions:
Correlative conjunctions combine two phrases or parts of the sentence that have equal importance within a sentence.
Examples:
Examples of correlative conjunctions are not only, but also, either, or, neither, nor, whether, or, rather, or, if, then, etc.

Types of Interjection:
Interjection:

An interjection is a word or phrase used to describe a feeling, give a command, or greet someone. Interjections are independent parts of speech, so they can be excluded from the sentence.
Examples:
1- Hey! What are you doing?
2- Hurray! We won the match.
3- Wow! This is a beautiful dress.

Types of Interjection:

The types of Interjections are:
  • Primary Interjections
  • Secondary Interjections
  • Volitive Interjections
  • Emotive Interjections
  • Cognitive Interjections
  • Greeting and parting phrases
1- Primary Interjections:
A primary interjection is a word or sound that can be used only as an interjection. Primary interjections cannot function as another part of speech.
Examples:
"Oops", “hmm,”, “ow,” “Ouch,” and “yum”, "Ugh!", etc.
2- Secondary Interjections:
A secondary interjection is a word that is typically used as another part of speech such as a noun, verb, or adjective.
Examples:
Awesome, Goodness, Oh my God, etc.
3- Volitive Interjections:
A volitive interjection is used to give a command or make a request.
Examples:
Shh, yuck, Ahem, etc.
4- Emotive Interjections:
An emotive interjection is used to express emotion or to describe a reaction to something.
Examples:
Ew, Yay, Yum, etc.
5- Cognitive Interjections:
A cognitive interjection is used to express a thought or indicate a thought process.
Examples:
Um, Wow, etc.
6- Greeting and parting phrases:
Greetings and parting phrases
are used to acknowledge or welcome someone or to express good wishes at the end of a conversation. They are used to greet or bid farewell. They can stand alone or be attached to a sentence.
Examples:
Hi!, Hey!, Bye, etc.

What is a voice?

Voice:

The term ‘voice’ is a term used to describe the form of the verb which indicates that the subject in a given sentence is the doer or receiver of the action. The voice of a verb describes the relationship between the action and the participants (subject and object) in a sentence.

Types of Voices:
There are two types of voices in the English language:
1- Active voice
2- Passive voice

Active Voice:
In active voice, the subject performs the action.
Passive Voice:
In passive voice, the subject receives the action.